Time to start combining yarns, then, to make thicker and warmer garments. When I was sorting out the cones, I noticed some smaller ones (250g or less). There were a couple of sparkly yarns, and also some multicoloured ones. I chose two, and teamed them with a navy blue 4 ply.
Using my new toy (the wool winder) I wound them together to make them easier to crochet with.
Somehow I managed to produce a ball that weighed almost exactly 100g. First I crocheted a simple beanie hat, then I used the Spring petals scarf pattern on Ravelry to crochet a scarf with the rest of the ball. I like this pattern because it is light and lacy-looking and is a single row repeat. Using a size 6.00mm hook I got a lovely drape to it, and as the combined yarns were more than aran thickness, the hat and scarf will be quite warm to wear.
Flushed with success with a 3 strand combo, I went for broke. I picked 3 strands of 2 ply and wound them together, then paired them with a 2 strand ball of 50% wool 4ply. Effectively, aran plus dk, so overall chunky weight.
I tried my luck with knitting this time. I used a simple broken rib pattern (knit 3, purl 1) and made a scarf and hat. I was really pleased with the outcome, although using a rib stitch meant that the scarf was narrower than I at first planned. I will knit a wider one that will be more suitable for a teenager.
I probably knitted a little slower than usual, and kept checking that I had all the strands in each stitch. But using the winder meant that the multiple strands were quite easy to control. I think it was a good investment!